Is Sam 18 yet???

When will Kiefer be 18???

When will Brendan be 18??

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Kiefer forced to forfeit!

State wrestling tournament started yesterday @ Tanana Middle School. The bus left the school at 8am and they wrestled until 9pm. Kiefer won his 1st match, lost his 2nd, and won his 3rd. So we left last night knowing he would be fighting for 3rd place in State today. So I took him to the school to catch the bus at 615 this morning. I knew he would have a long morning with getting situated and all the kids weighing in. I came home, slept for a bit, then Darin and I headed into town to catch todays matches. We walked in to the gym and headed toward the mats looking for him. I looked and looked and asked a teammate where Kief was. Kief was "on the mat" but talking to refs and his friends and coaches and I have NEVER seen his face so red. I knew he either lost or something was really wrong and my stomach just instantly fell to the floor. I wanted to be a crazy mom and run across the damn floor....but I knew that would make it worse. That's the only thing that stopped me! I asked the teammate if we missed the match and he said "no...something happened with his mouth." I looked up and Kief was getting dressed. He started toward us and I asked what happened and he said he had to forfeit the match (giving up any more chance at winning a place in State) because his lip was stuck to his braces and he couldn't wrestle without his mouthguard in. Apparently his opponent had knocked him in the face and his mouthguard shifted and the injury happened!!! Sure enough, his upper lip was totally stuck and wires were poking right in and sticking there. I felt and still feel so bad for him. But he has handled it well. He has decided to continue even though the season is over. There is a Team Icemen here that is Freestyle wrestling so he can keep up on his strength and skills a bit longer this season. He is already looking forward to HS Wrestling next year. So here are a few pics of his weekend....

Crazy Wrestler's Mom!!!!


Get him Kief!!!!!!





And the lip is stuck on the wire :(



My baby is hurting!!!



I took him to Dr. Sutley's and we had to numb him so we could get the wire out of his lip!



So anyway....that has been our weekend so far! The coaches and Kief say he was winning the match but it just wasn't going to happen this year. We told him he will take them all by storm next year as an "Awesome Unknown" that nobody is expecting to get their butt beat by him so they better watch out!!!

2 comments:

  1. well, that is just not right!!!! That ref is lucky that the crazy wrestling Grandma wasn't there. I would have told him a thing or two. Grandma and Grandpa are very proud of him.
    Love you big guy!!!
    Love, Grandma Raduenz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor guy! It just wasn't his year for wrestling but your right...hopefully next year will be his year. It sounds like he's really good. Especially to be 3rd in the state when he didn't even get to wrestle much this year. He will be ready to take them all by storm next year!!!

    Oh and I love the crazy wrestler mom picture!!! Priceless!!!!

    ReplyDelete